Signs and symptoms of depression
Signs and symptoms of depression are characterized by a persisting sadness and lethargy which remove the desire and courage to carry out ideas and activities. The pleasures and interests in life suddenly seem to be missing. Easily changing moods and weeping without cause are outward signs and symptoms of a mild depression. Before we explore further as to the signs and symptoms of depression we also need to clearly understand what depression is and what types of depressions there are.
What is depression?
Depression is sometimes called the common cold of emotional problems because most people have experienced it at some time in their lives. You are not alone in your depression. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), it is estimated that more than one out of 20 Americans over the age of 12 suffer from depression each year. Depression can be far more disabling than medical illnesses such as chronic lung disease, arthritis, and diabetes. Although these facts and statistics are startling, the subjective experience of depression can be overwhelming. The important fact for you now is that the problem of depression has been identified, and there is something you can do about it.
Facts about depression
- There are different types of depression: major depressive disorder, dysthymia and bipolar disorder.
- Depression is one of the most common psychiatric disorders.
- Depression is more common in women than in men.
- Depression is otherwise an equal opportunity disorder. It occurs across all countries, levels of education and occupations. It affects both rich and poor.
- Depression is a family affair. It runs in families and has serious consequences for family life.
- Depression is increasing.
- Depression is occurring more frequently in younger persons.
- Thee are many effective treatments for depression. Medications and psychotherapy. Sometimes these treatments are combined.
- Depression tends to be a recurring method. Some patients will need available treatments for longer periods. Others will have one bout and never have another period of symptoms.
- There is not one treatment that is right for all patients or all types of depression. If one treatment doesn't work out for a sufficient time, you ought to consider another.
Fleeting moments of feeling sad and blue or feeling depressed are part of the human condition. These mood changes are normal and tell you that something is not quite right in your life and usually pass. Clinical depression is different. it is persistent, impairing and includes a range of symptoms. There are different types of depression. Usually your therapist will make an effort to determine the type you have.
What are the physical signs and symptoms of depression.
- increased muscle tension
- chest tightness and discomfort
- shortness of breath
- dry mouth
- difficulty swallowing
- loss of sexual interest
- numbness and tingling
Psychological signs and symptoms of depression
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide ideas, a suicide attempt or a specific plan.
- fear and apprehension
- inner tension and restlessness
- impaired ability to concentrate
- increased startle response
- increased sensitivity to physical sensations
- insomnia or hypersomnia (oversleeping)
Herbal Remedies>Depression>Symptoms Of Depression
Like This Page?